This post was sponsored on behalf of NIOXIN. Please note that, as always, any personal opinions reflected in this post are my own and have not been influenced by the sponsor in any way.
Is your hair thinning? As you can see in the two photos above, mine is. The photo on the left was taken this past fall and the photo on the right was taken about a month ago. As you can see, the hair looks thinner in the picture on the right. More and more scalp seems to appear every month or two. My part feels like it’s the Great Divide. I rarely like the way I look in most photos, and almost never like the way my hair looks.
There are a number of reasons people have thinning hair – genetic factors, nutrition and diet, stress and trauma, health issues, medication, environmental factors, and postpartum. In some cases a person could be dealing with more than one. Personally, I have always had thin, fine, oily hair. As a teen I was bullied, with my appearance being just one of many aspects to be insulted. Everyone had big hair in the 80s. Everyone but me, or so it seemed. As I grew older I came to accept myself and stop worrying about fitting in with the masses. While my attitude may have changed, my hair did not. After I had my first child in 1995, my hair thinned a bit more. I had major surgery in 2007, at which time I became anemic. My hair might as well have been declared anemic as well, as it thinned yet again. I have gotten a perm once a year for many years now. It’s always given the illusion of thicker, less oily hair. This year, I noticed that even with the perm my hair seemed thinner than it ever had with a perm before. I was literally pondering what I could do to deal with this situation when I was asked to take the NIOXIN Challenge.
NIOXIN uses advanced technologies to deliver thicker, fuller, denser-looking hair. Their commitment to innovation, supported by 25 years of research, enables them to be able to help more than 3 out of 4 men and women in the U.S. who experienced thinning hair. The NIOXIN Challenge consists of using only NIOXIN products specifically selected for your hair for 30 days. At the end of the thirty days NIOXIN guarantees you will see increased growth, as well as thicker and fuller hair. There are a total of six NIOXIN System Kits available, each one formulated to create the optimal scalp environment and address the user’s particular type of hair.
- System 1 is specially designed for normal to thin-looking, fine, natural hair. It amplifies hair texture while refreshing the scalp and delivering a healthy shine.
- System 2 is specially designed for noticeably thinning, fine, natural hair. It delivers denser-looking hair and a healthy shine while protecting the scalp.
- System 3 is specially designed for normal to thin-looking, fine, chemically treated hair. It amplifies hair texture while refreshing the scalp and providing moisture balance to colored hair.
- System 4 is specially designed for noticeably thinning, fine, chemically-treated hair. It delivers denser-looking hair while protecting the scalp and providing moisture balance to colored hair.
- System 5 is specially designed for normal to thin-looking, medium to coarse, natural or chemically-treated hair. It delivers smoothing control to hair while refreshing the scalp and restoring moisture balance.
- System 6 is specially designed for noticeably thinning, medium to coarse, natural or chemically-treated hair. It delivers smoothing control to hair while protecting the scalp and restoring moisture balance.
I used the free NIOXIN Consultation Tool to find which System Kit would work best for me. Based on the information I provided, I learned that NIOXIN System 3 is what should work best for me. While I do not have colored hair, I stated that I had chemically treated hair because I did have a perm earlier this year. Each System addresses three key factors that are crucial in understanding and treating the appearance of thinning hair:  scalp and hair environment,  the role of hair health, and  the change of hair structure over time. Each System Kit contains three parts – Shampoo, Conditioner & Treatment.
The first thing I must tell you about the shampoo is that it smells and feels amazing, right from the first day you use it. You know that fresh and tingly feeling you get from some mouthwash, and even some mints or coughdrops? This is like that but only better! Every time I use the shampoo and conditioner I remember how much I love the smell and feeling. It took about two weeks for me to notice a difference in the thickness and feel of my hair. My hair feels thicker now than I recall it feeling in years. And it feels softer than I expected too.
Along with the shampoo, conditioner and treatment in my System 3 Kit, I also received NIOXIN Night Density Rescue Treatment and NIOXIN Bodifying Foam.
The Night Density Rescue Treatment is a leave-in overnight treatment. It’s designed to be used overnight because that’s when the body’s natural repair and cell regeneration functions are stronger. The key ingredients are:
- Biotin – an effective antioxidant found in a variety of food sources and is commonly used in products to fortify nails and hair
- Caffeine – hydrates the skin and thickens the outermost layer of the epidermis reducing roughness and fine lines
- Vitamin E – a powerful antioxidant widely used in skin care products and is proven to reduce oxidative damage on the skin’s surface
- Ginger Root Extract – proven to be an effective antioxidant that is commonly used in skin care products to enhance the appearance of dry, damaged skin.
Using the little dropper that’s included, each night you place single drops of the treatment on your scalp. The bottle this product comes in is small, but you don’t need much since you are only applying one drop at a time. Once you’ve applied the drops you massage the product into your scalp and go to sleep. While you’re sleeping the formula’s blend of antioxidants works to neutralize free radicals on the scalp surface. NIOXIN Night Density Rescue Treatment is available at salons nationwide for an average retail price of $45.00.
The Bodifying Foam may be my favorite item out of all of them. It looks and feels a lot like typical hair mousse. But it’s far from typical. NIOXIN calls this product a 3D product because it addresses 3 aspects of thinning hair – derma, density, and diameter. This formulation works to create thicker hair by attacking the problem both from the inside and the outside. The foam uses Pro-Thick Technology to form bonds between the strands of hair, giving a thicker and fuller appearance. It also uses LightPlex Technology to blend polymers and thickening agents to produce a lightweight product that works without leaving your hair feeling stiff. One of the things I don’t like about most mousse is that it leaves my hair stiff and crunchy. The NIOXIN Bodifying Foam didn’t do that, and it did hold! The NIOXIN 3D styling range can be found in select salons nationwide for a suggested retail price of $14.50 – $17.
I am so pleased with my experience with NIOXIN. I am thrilled with the way my hair looks and feels. Since shortly after I started the challenge I don’t feel like I have thin, limp, mousy hair anymore. We don’t have to tolerate thinning hair anymore, we can fight back with NIOXIN.
You can learn more about the products I have been using and others on the NIOXIN website. You can learn which System Kit is right for you by using the free online consultation tool. You can also follow NIOXIN on social media, on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. If you’re ready to take the NIOXIN Challenge, be sure to share your results with #NIOXINChallenge on NIOXIN’s Facebook and Twitter.