The House With A Clock In Its Walls arrives on Blu-ray and DVD on December 18, 2018.
The product(s) featured in this post was provided at no cost to me. Please note that, as always, any personal opinions reflected in this post are my own and have not been influenced by the sponsor in any way. The product(s) featured in this post was provided at no cost to me. Please note that, as always, any personal opinions reflected in this post are my own and have not been influenced by the sponsor in any way.
I don’t recall reading or being read “The House With A Clock In Its Walls” when I was younger. That means either I’m old and have forgotten, I’m old and it wasn’t out then, or it wasn’t out then. This movie combines adventure with thriller and a little comedy, making for spooky good fun. The House With A Clock In Its Walls is a great pick for a family movie night.
- Release Date: December 18, 2018
- Rated: PG Parental Guidance Suggested
- Run Time: 105 minutes
- Number of discs: 2
- Studio: Universal Pictures Home Entertainment
- ASIN: B07H5VTBGJ
- Purchase on Amazon
Enjoy the delightfully thrilling tale of a mysterious house where things, including the inhabitants, are not what they seem to be. Based on the classic children’s book and praised as “creaky, freaky haunted-mansion fun” (LA Times), The House With a Clock in its Walls features over 60 minutes of bonus content including an alternate beginning and ending, stunning featurettes, deleted scenes, a hilarious gag reel, and feature commentary. Enchanting from start to finish, it’s the perfect adventure for families during the holidays.
Full of wonder and adventure, The House With a Clock in its Walls mesmerizes audiences of all ages and keeps the magic alive when stars Jack Black (Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Kung Fu Panda), Cate Blanchett (Ocean’s 8, Thor: Ragnarok) and Owen Vaccaro (Daddy’s Home, Mother’s Day) arrive as Uncle Jonathan, Mrs. Zimmerman and Lewis Barnavelt. In the most unexpected places, fantastical events, miraculous twists and suspense filled moments ensue in this “zany kids adventure” (The Hollywood Reporter) that soon captivates adults as well. In the tradition of Amblin classics, master frightener and director Eli Roth’s The House With a Clock in its Walls is a family-friendly fantasy film that “stands alongside the ‘just for kids’ classics of the 1980’s and 1990’s” (Forbes).
In The House With a Clock in its Walls directed by Eli Roth (The Green Inferno, Cabin Fever), Lewis Barnavelt (Vaccaro) goes to live with his Uncle Jonathan (Black) in a creaky and creepy mansion with an eerie tick-tocking heart. But when Lewis soon finds out he’s in the presence of magic practiced by his uncle and neighbor Mrs. Zimmerman (Blanchett), his new town’s dreary aura boosts to life in an exciting and dangerous way. Based on the beloved children’s classic book written by John Bellairs and illustrated by Edward Gorey, The House With a Clock in its Walls is written by Eric Kripke (creator of TV’s “Supernatural”) and co-stars Kyle MacLachlan (“Twin Peaks,” Inside Out), Colleen Camp (Clue), Renée Elise Goldsberry (“One Life to Live”), and Sunny Suljic (Mid90s, The Killing of a Sacred Deer). It is produced by Mythology Entertainment’s Brad Fischer (Shutter Island) and James Vanderbilt (Zodiac), as well as Kripke.
BONUS FEATURES EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAYTM, DVD & DIGITAL:
- Warlocks and Witches – Go behind the scenes with the enchanting cast of The House with a Clock in Its Walls
- Finding Lewis – A look at the casting of Owen Vaccaro
- Jack’s Magical Journey – A look at the unique dynamism and magic that Jack Black brings to the character of Jonathan Barnavelt
- The Great Cate – The cast discuss Cate Blanchett’s wonderful performance as Florence Zimmerman
- The Terrifying Isaac Izard – Watch Kyle MacLachlan’s creepy evolution from living icon to undead-warlock
- Movie Magic
- The Ultimate Haunted House – Join filmmakers for a guided tour through the incredible house at the center of the film
- Automatons Attack – A behind-the-scenes look at the mechanical horrors involved in this chilling sequence
- Pumpkin Puke – Behind the scenes with the cast and an army of spooky, snarling, vomiting pumpkins
- Moving Pieces – Filmmakers and cast discuss the amazing clock room set
- Baby Jack – A behind-the-scenes look at the creepy Baby Jack sequence
- Tick Tock: Bringing the Book to Life – Filmmakers discuss how they adapted the book for the big screen
- Eli Roth: Director’s Journals – Director Eli Roth takes viewers behind the scenes
- Candler Mansion
- Newnan, GA
- The Chair
- Comrade Ivan
- New Zebedee Elementary
- Wrap Day
- Owen Goes Behind the Scenes – Armed with his own camera, Owen guides viewers on his own journey behind-the-scenes of the movie
- Around the Set
- Behind the Camera
- The Big Interview
- Downtime on Set
- Theme Song Challenge – Eli Roth and the cast are challenged to come up with a theme song for the film
- Do You Know Jack Black? – The cast compete with each other to see who knows Jack Black the best
- Abracadabra! – Eli Roth performs a magic trick for Owen Vaccaro
- Jack Black’s Greatest Fear – Eli Roth and Owen Vaccaro play a prank on Jack Black
- The Mighty Wurlitzer – Composer Nathan Barr discusses how he created the film’s unique and distinct score
BONUS FEATURES ON 4K ULTRA HD, BLU-RAYTM DVD & DIGITAL:
- Alternate Opening and Ending with Commentary by Director Eli Roth and Actor Jack Black available
- Alternate Opening
- Alternate Ending
- Deleted Scenes with Commentary by Director Eli Roth and Actor Jack Black available
- More Books, Please
- A Horrible Practical Joke
- Tarby Ditches Lewis
- Eat Up
- Play for Him
- Get Out of the Way
- Time Is of the Essence
- The Clock That Never Breaks
- 12 Minutes to Go
- Gag Reel
- Feature Commentary with Director Eli Roth and Actor Jack Black
Here’s the trailer.
And here’s a bonus clip.