The product(s) featured in this post was provided at no cost to me. This post has not been monetarily compensated. Please note that, as always, any personal opinions reflected in this post are my own and have not been influenced by the sponsor in any way. Some of the posts on this site, like this one, contain an affiliate link. This means I MAY get paid a SMALL (and I do mean small) commission IF you purchase the product or service.
One of my favorite animated movies ever, one of the biggest animated films released to date, The Lion King, is being released on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital and being added to the highly celebrated Walt Disney Signature Collection. Fans new and old will love this coming-of-age story filled with heart, humor, breathtaking animation and soul-stirring award–winning music.
- Blu-ray/DVD Release Date: August 29, 2017
- Rated: G General Audience
- Number of discs: 2
- Studio: Walt Disney Video
- Run Time: 88 minutes
- ASIN: B072JXB1XZ
- Purchase on Amazon
Audiences will fall in love all over again with the treasured classic, and a new generation of fans will laugh with Timon and Pumbaa, cry with Simba and Mufasa, burst into song, and find their place in the “Circle of Life.” The Walt Disney Signature Collection release includes over three hours of classic bonus material and exclusive, brand new features inviting viewers to sing along with the film’s award-winning music, observe recording sessions, step inside the story room, witness the evolution of a villain, and join Nathan Lane (voice of Timon) and Matthew Broderick (voice of Adult Simba) for an extended conversation regarding the legacy of “The Lion King.”
“The Lion King” follows the adventures of Simba, a feisty lion cub who cannot wait to be king, as he searches for his destiny in the great “Circle of Life.” The film earned a Golden Globe® for Best Motion Picture—Comedy or Musical and inspired a Tony Award®-winning Broadway musical that is currently the third longest-running musical in Broadway history. In 2019, a reimagined live-action film, helmed by Jon Favreau, will delight audiences with the thrilling retelling of the original tale utilizing groundbreaking technological advances—as only Disney can do.
“The Lion King” is the fifth title to join the Walt Disney Signature Collection, which includes groundbreaking films created or inspired by the imagination and legacy of Walt Disney, featuring timeless stories and characters that have touched generations. It takes its place alongside “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “Pinocchio” and “Bambi.”
1. Brand New Sing-Along Version
2. Audio Commentary – View the film with commentary by producer Don Hahn and co-directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff.
3. Visualizing a Villain – Against a backdrop of live dancers and the animated “Be Prepared” sequence, artist David Garibaldi paints a masterpiece of evil.
4. The Recording Sessions – Watch rare footage of the actors recording their roles, matched with the final animation. Intro by Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff.
5. Nathan and Matthew: The Extended Lion King Conversation – Nathan Lane (Timon) and Matthew Broderick (Adult Simba) offer candid and hilarious insights into their Lion King experiences.
6. Inside the Story Room – Co-directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff present archival footage of five original story pitches.
- 1. Circle of Life – See how color creates emotion and meaning in the film’s iconic opening.
- 2. Simba & Nala – See how elements proposed in story meetings evolve into what appears onscreen.
- 3. Simba Takes Nala Out to Play – …And, sometimes what seems funny in story meetings never makes it into the film!
- 4. Hakuna Matata – Co-directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff sing, act and dance their hearts out as they pitch the “Hakuna Matata” sequence.
- 5. Rafiki and Reflecting Pool – Co-directors Roger Allers & Rob Minkoff pitch a sequence that became the emotional heart of The Lion King to Producer Don Hahn.
7. Music & More – Sing along to your favorite songs from the movie!
- 1. “Circle of Life”
- 2. “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King”
- 3. “Be Prepared”
- 4. “Hakuna Matata”
- 5. “Can You Feel the Love Tonight”
- 1. Visual Development – Explore a gallery of striking artwork that inspired the movie’s look and feel.
- 2. Character Design – Trace the development of the film’s unforgettable characters through early concept art drawings.
- 3. Storyboards – Examine storyboards created in the development of “The Lion King.”
- 4. Layouts – Feast your eyes on layouts created in the development of “The Lion King.”
- 5. Backgrounds & Layouts – Journey through a gallery of landscape paintings that shaped the world of “The Lion King.”
9. Classic Bonus Features (Digital Only) – These offerings from prior home entertainment releases include hours of bonus material, such as bloopers, audio commentary, deleted and alternate scenes, and in-depth journeys into the music, film, story, animals and stage show.
*Bonus features may vary by retailer