If you are a pet owner, you shudder at the thought of your furry friend lapping up antifreeze or eating something out of the trash that he isn‚Äôt supposed to have. While there are disaster preparedness tips for your pets from everything from summer heat to winter cold and from hurricanes to getting microchipped in case they are lost or stolen, some pet parents still aren‚Äôt sure what to do if their pet eats something toxic. With that in mind, read on below for a few of the things that can harm your pet and what you should do if this happens to you and your pet.
While it may not happen often, it is possible that you might drop a pill on the floor and not be able to find it, or your pet could even pick one up that was dropped on your daily walk. If you find a pill and think that your pet may have ingested part of it or one of them, make sure to use a pill identifier to figure out what the pill was, then contact your vet as soon as possible with as much information about the pill as you can find. Some of the most common medications that can harm your beloved pet are antidepressants, blood pressure medications, and prescription pain medications.
Vets report treating pets that have been poisoned by chocolate on a regular basis. So, while it may be tempting to let your dog have the chocolate bar he is begging for, it can be fatal to your pup in the end. If your dog eats chocolate, you need to inform your vet right away and then see if you can get the pet to vomit. It‚Äôs very important for them to get the chocolate up and out of their system right away.
Poisoning by antifreeze is the most frequent way that pets are poisoned. There is something about the product that smells and tastes great to dogs. Dogs love sweet things and antifreeze is sweet. Never, let your pet out when you think there might be a spillage of antifreeze anywhere on your property. Keep the dog calm and get him to an emergency vet as soon as possible. Antifreeze is lethal to pets.
Just like babies and toddlers, pets have a habit of putting anything in their mouth that they can find. This includes household cleaners like bleach, washing powders and drain and toilet bowl cleaners. The results of your pet ingesting any of these products can lead to anything from mild to fatal reactions. Keep them where your pets can‚Äôt reach them and consult your vet as soon as you suspect your pet might have ingested any type of household chemicals.
These are just a few of the things around your home that could be toxic to the pet you love. In all cases, make sure to take your pet to the vet as soon as possible, and then stop your pet from cleaning themselves until you can get them to the vet to prevent further poisoning. Pet parents are vigilant, but sometimes they do make mistakes. Stay calm, follow the tips, and your pet will hopefully make a full recovery.